Thai Green Curry Paste
If you have the time it is worth trying to make curry paste from scratch, rather than buying tins/jars. If you are too lazy, one good brand of curry paste (and other items) is Mae Ploy.
- 4 Tbsp roughly chopped lemon grass
- 1 Tbsp chopped galangal
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 whole coriander plants
- 1 tsp chopped lime or lemon zest
- 15 fresh green chillis (medium to small)
- 10 black peppercorns, cracked
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil for blending
- Using a blender (or if you are really keen, a mortar and pestle) to blend all ingredients together to make a smooth paste. It may take a while but eventually you will get a paste.
- Store in a jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks, or freeze (try putting 1-2 Tbsp portions in gladwrap or small plastic bags) for up to 6 months.
Created on Fri, 03 Feb 2006, 4:35pm
Last changed on Sun, 03 Dec 2006, 4:43pm