Green Chicken Curry
Also known as Gaeng Keow wan Gai. Don't shake the can of coconut milk - you want to use the thick creamy stuff off the top at the start.
- 250gm boneless chicken, sliced
- 1 can (400ml) thick coconut milk - Chef's Choice or Ayam brand
- 1 heaped Tbsp green curry paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp palm sugar
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves, torn into big pieces
- 10 basil leaves, torn into big pieces
- chilli and basic leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup baby corn
- 1/4 cup zucchini
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- (can use other vegetables in place such as eggplant, carrot, red capsicum, beans etc)
- In a wok, fry the garlic in the oil until golden brown.
- Add the curry paste and stir-fry for a minute
- Add 2-3Tbsp coconut cream (top part of the can) and stir until it curdles and thickens in the oil
- Add the fish sauce and sugar and stir
- Add chicken and cook until meat is lightly cooked.
- Optional: you may want to add some fresh chillis if your curry paste is not too hot
- Add zucchini and stir well
- Add rest of coconut milk and lime leaves, baby corn and cook until meat and vegies are just cooked
- Before transferring to serving dish, add basil leaves and peas and lightly mix, cooking for 1 more minute.
- Serve garnished with chilli and basil leaves.
Yukiko Anschutz, WEA instructor
Created on Fri, 03 Feb 2006, 4:34pm
Last changed on Sun, 03 Dec 2006, 4:35pm