Glass Noodle Salad (Yam Woon Sen)
2 as mains, or 3-5 as a side dish
- 200g minced chicken or pork
- 100g fresh prawns, peeled
- 100g cellophane noodles (vermicilli bean thread)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 red small onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp chopped shallots
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander, leaves only
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely sliced
- lettuce or Chinese cabbage leaves (garnish)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1-2 chillis
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Blanch off de-veined prawns and refresh. If you want a short cut, then you can skip this step and add the fresh prawns when you add the meat in step 3.
- Soak noodles in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain water, then pour boiling hot water over noodles. Let the noodles cool down and cut them up (otherwise you may choke on them)
- Over low to medium heat, braise the mince in quarter cup of water until it is cooked.
- Add the chilli powder and then mix in prawns, noodles, onion, shallots, coriander and mint leaves. Toss the entire mixture and then remove.
- The dressing of lemon juice, fish sauce, garlic, sugar, chillis all mixed together should be added just before serving. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
Yukiko Anschutz, WEA instructor
Created on Wed, 18 Jan 2006, 4:36pm
Last changed on Sun, 03 Dec 2006, 4:37pm