Introduction to Data Communications (S1, 2014)
This course aims to introduce you to the fundamentals of data and computer communications. You will learn how information is shared between computing devices, starting at the basics of sending signals across links, and then moving to how multiple links can be used for form networks. Examples using present day technologies will be given, such as WiFi, Voice over IP, satellite communications, home/office LANs, and different Internet applications. This course gives broad coverage of data communications, finishing with an introduction to the Internet. More specific coverage of technologies is given in subsequent courses (e.g. ITS325, ITS413), while hands on experience is given in the ITS332 lab in semester 2.
- Dr Steven Gordon (contact details)
- Lecture Times
- Section 1 (IT): Monday 14:40-16:00 in BKD2601 and Tuesday 10:40-12:00 in BKD2602
- Section 2 (CS): Wednesday 14:40-16:00 in BKD2605 and Thursday 10:40-12:00 in BKD2605
- Data and Computer Communications, 9th Edition by Williams Stallings, Prentice Hall, 2011. (additional resources)
- No formal prerequisites, although it is expected that you have good knowledge of basic engineering mathematics, operating systems concepts, software design principles and programming. See the Study Guide for advice on refreshing your knowledge in these areas.
- Online Resources
- Moodle: http://ict.siit.tu.ac.th/moodle/course/view.php?name=its323y14s1
Steve's Blog: http://sandilands.info/sgordon/
- Schedule: Schedule of lectures, listing the topics covered each week.
- Assessment Criteria: Expectations of students and methods for assessing their work.
- News Forum: Course announcements and news. Also distributed by email.
- Extra Resources: Other resources, such as textbooks, past courses and background material, that may help you be successful in this course.
- Topics and Lecture Material: list of topics, and for each topic a page containing lecture notes, handouts, videos and examples.
- Quizzes and Homework: links to quizzes and homeworks.
- Exams and Assignment: links to midterm and final exam details and assignment information.
Return to: Course Home | Course List | Steven Gordon's Home | SIIT